Saturday, February 25, 2017

Thank you

I'm both pleased and despondent to announce that after three rewarding years of full-time volunteer service with Youth With A Mission in Honolulu, my commitment will soon come to a close. I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity I've been given to serve and learn alongside such a tremendous community of Christians.

During my time with YWAM, I've been a student in their Discipleship Training School here in Honolulu, and I've held several different positions on staff; each as rewarding as the last. My current position as DTS Administrator has been one of the most excellent jobs I've ever had the privilege to hold and has provided me with numerous opportunities to learn and grow both in community and as an individual. Again, I'm extremely grateful.

The official end-date of my commitment is to be determined. However, I hope to leave my station within the good graces of my leadership and co-volunteers no later than the last week in August. As I make my transition out of YWAM, the success of our campus is at the forefront of my priorities. It is imperative to me that the Discipleship program specifically, and the leadership thereof, are poised to not only continue as they were, but rather poised to launch into proverbial orbit in terms of effectiveness and vitality. I love YWAM Honolulu and the people within; it would be at best, a mild disservice to them and our Creator if I were to leave without first ensuring their well-being.

So, what's next?

My subsequent "mission-field" is three-fold. During my three years in YWAM, it's become evident to me that I care deeply about three things: Family, the Church, and the United States of America. I believe fully that solving the first two, will inevitably make a profound impact on the third and although my role in these three spheres of society is still unknown to me, I'm going to start by spending time with Mom and Dad.

One of the difficulties that has come with living in Honolulu has been my inability to spend time with my family. So, in addition to spending time with my parents, I will also be attending a family reunion over Labor day weekend at Beaver Camp in the Adirondacks. I'm very excited to see Grandma and Grandpa and all of my cousins as well as my two nieces and my nephew. On a related note, my girlfriend, Allison Miller from Sarasota, will be graduating in August from University of South Florida in Tampa with her nursing degree and is currently looking for a job in Western New York. We hope to have her join us for our reunion depending on when she is able to take the NCLEX. We're also very excited to finally live on the same continent.

Those are the solid plans. Now onto the "hopefuls" and "not-so-sures". 

I've applied at Faith International University in hopes of achieving my BA through one of their online programs. (They offer a significant discount to YWAMers and in some cases, even offer credits toward your major.) After graduating, I hope to continue my education. Some possible pathways include seminary, law school, political science, journalism or inductive Bible study. Right now, pursuing anything beyond a bachelor's degree is many months and many dollars into the future. (But at least I've narrowed it down.)

Any practical thinker might be wondering if I ever plan to get a job. I do! As of right now, I have a few ideas but nothing concrete and I might just end up doing whatever's available at the time. 

The ultimate reality, other than the Kingdom of Heaven itself, is that it is still March. And while I can make all sorts of plans based on where I believe God is leading me and based on the ideas and cares that I believe God has placed in my heart; I have to constantly remind myself to seek Him daily; to focus on the task at hand; to remember that while God is constant, circumstances are not. I have reason to believe that God is "smiling" on all of these plans, but if He wants to change things up, I won't choose to worship my ways over Him. There's always room for Him to change my mind. In addition to staying flexible, it's important that I remember we currently have twenty students leaving for Asia in just a few weeks and another school starting in April. For all I know, one of these students could be the next Billy Graham and even if they're not, they still deserve my full commitment and attention.

At some point I'd like to return to YWAM Honolulu. I believe that the training that takes place here is of the highest value for any young person. Not everyone becomes a missionary to Asia, but everyone comes away with AT LEAST an inkling of who God has created them to be and what He has created them to do. They come away with the tools any young Christian needs to sustain their relationship with God. They come away empowered with the Holy Spirit and humbled by His majesty. They come away with the ability to make an impact in their families, churches and communities. As one of those students myself, I owe all that I am to God's magnificent grace, my exceptional parents, and to the unparalleled people with whom I have lived for the past three years. Without YWAM Honolulu I would not be the man I am today. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If you would like to get in touch, my email is bricelivingston@gmail.com. Thank you for the wonderful support from friends and family at Alden Mennonite Church and Clarence Center/Akron Mennonite. As a full-time volunteer, I rely fully on support from churches, family and friends to help pay my staff-fees. If you would like to help me out over the next few months, you can make a tax-deductible donation through PayPal. Our account is ywamoahu@gmail.com. I look forward to seeing you all again! Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment